First of all, congratulations on deciding to become a pianist or having your child be a pianist!
So, what is the average music classes’ price in SG?
Here is a quick look at the average prices that piano teachers in Singapore charge in table format so it is easier for you:
Piano Grade – Duration – Prices and Fees
Beginners – 45 mins – $130 to $160
One – 45 mins – $140 to $170
Two – 45 mins – $150 to $180
Three – 45 mins – $160 to $190
Four – 45 mins – $170 to $200
Five – 60 mins – $190 to $240 (Notice there is a jump from 45 minute lessons to 60 minute lessons here)
Six – 60 mins – $200 to $260
Seven – 60 mins – $220 to $280
Eight – 60 mins – $240 to $330
Diploma – 60 mins – $280 to $400
* Above table prices last updated: 27th May 2019
* As you can tell from the above table, grade 1 prices for students in Singapore are generally around $130 to $170 for 4 lessons a month, and increases up till around $280 to $330 a month for four grade 8 music classes.
* You may also notice that the lesson duration for beginners up to grade 4 ABRSM piano lessons are 45 minutes in length, while that jumps up to 60 minutes for higher grades.
When it comes to Singapore’s piano lesson prices and rates, it can vary a fair bit.
Here are 4 factors affecting price (relating to the STUDENTS):
- The PURPOSE of the lessons (for exams or casual lessons) – Lesson fees in Singapore are dependent on whether the student wants to take casual lessons and learn casually or take intensive piano lessons for the purpose of passing the ABRSM graded piano examinations.
- GRADE you or your child is taking – When it comes to music classes for the piano ABRSM examinations in Singapore, the rates will also differ and increase over the years based on the grade you are taking now because of inflation.
- AGE of the student – Adult lessons may be more expensive (depending on the teacher) because most adults only take a few lessons or only want to learn a few songs for a personal reason. Children tend to learn piano over the long term and so more favourable rates are provided for children lessons generally speaking.
- PLACE of lesson – Most parents having the teacher come over to their place to teach their child lessons. However, there are some parents who prefer the child to go to the teacher’s home studio. Those who require the teacher to travel to their place usually need to pay more by approximately $10 to $30 a month. (However, the range still usually falls within the price ranges stated in the table below)
Here are 3 factors affecting rates (relating to the TEACHER):
- Whether the teacher is a PART TIME or FULL TIME teacher – If the teacher is full time, they are usually more experienced and thus will charge more. Likewise, if the teacher only teaches music lessons part time, then usually they tend to charge less due to less experience.
- QUALIFICATIONS of the tutor – Teachers with higher qualifications usually tend to charge more. For instance, if teacher A has a Diploma certificate or perhaps even Masters, then he/she will usually charge more than teacher B who has only Grade 8. This is not always the case but usually the case.
- LENGTH of teaching career – Those who have been in the industry and actively providing piano lessons have more experience, and so their rates and prices per lesson are usually commensurate with their experience. Or in this case, length of their teaching career.