Find out the estimated average amount you can make teaching piano in Singapore.
If you ever wanted to consider becoming a piano teacher in Singapore, you would definitely have been considering how much income you can bring in as a private piano teacher in Singapore providing music lessons. This is a short article which will share with you what an average music teacher in Singapore who is attached to an agency like ours can expect to make.
First of all, let us take a look at the common rate that most private piano teachers in Singapore charge for their music lessons.
Most teachers charge on a per month basis, assuming that month has 4 lessons. Lessons are generally speaking 45 minutes for ABRSM grade 4 and below, and increases to 60 minutes for ABRSM grade 5 and above lessons. Lessons are generally $130 to 150 per month per student for the lowest grades, and reaches approximately $280 per month for grade 8. This means an average of around $200 per month per student for 4 weekly lessons. This means that if you had 5 students a day, for 7 days a week, you will have 35 students per month, and make an average of a whopping $7000 per month! This is more than many doctors and lawyers and you get to plan your own schedule and life. How much better is this??
Second of all, do note that the amount of students that you can have is limited by your traveling time.
This is because most private music lessons are conducted at the student’s home, and not at the teacher’s studio. Therefore, you will need to factor in traveling time when it comes to calculating how many students you can have per month. Therefore to get as many students as possible so that you can increase your earnings as a private piano teacher in Singapore, you want to work with an agency so that they can easily allocate students to you who stay near your location so that you can teach more students within a shorter period of time due to less traveling time required.
Third of all, if you are a Diploma teacher, you may also be able to charge slightly higher prices than e.g. an ABRSM Grade 8 teacher.
This means that if you already have intention to take the piano Diploma, then you should definitely do it if becoming a private piano teacher in Singapore is also a potential consideration you are thinking about.
So what do you think?
If you are still on the fence whether you should pursue your dreams of being a self employed piano teacher in Singapore, read this first – the pros and cons of being a private piano teacher in Singapore.
Advantages and disadvantages of going through a private music teacher agency.
Here are some pros and cons you need to know if you are intending to hire a private piano teacher through a website or a music teacher agency.
Here are some cons:
- Some agencies can take multiple days just to respond to your enquiry. If you are not in a hurry, that is ok, but this is still quite annoying, especially when you need to follow up with them for something urgent.
- There are a number of agencies online on Google, however, some of them are operated only by part time business owners. This means that if you bump into such an agency, you will take very long to get any response to any question you may have. Therefore, it is partly dependent on luck if you manage to find an agency (hint hint: like ours) which is operated by full time working staff for you.
Here are some pros of hiring a teacher through an established agency:
- You get the advantage of choice between many different independent music teachers in Singapore to choose from, although usually one is allocated to you based on your requirements and demands. If you tried to engage a teacher by yourself, you gain only access to that one piano teacher’s contact. However, if you approach us, we can help you find many good teachers, and match you up with the best teacher of them all.
- It is increasingly harder to find piano teachers on your own. This is because if you do not have friends or family members who know piano teachers, you may find it difficult to get recommendations. However, most piano teachers also work with agencies, hence you are well poised to find a good teacher through an agency instead.
- You don’t actually get any mark ups. Agencies’ services are always free for students or parents looking for teachers for their children. They only charge the teachers. Whatever rate that is quoted to you is the actual rate that the teacher will charge, even if you had found the teacher through some classified ads by yourself.
- A good agency verifies their teacher’s certifications e.t.c., and sorts through the various music teachers and only works and matches up students with the best piano teachers.
Here’s a big final tip that you should know if you are hiring a private piano teacher through an agency: most teachers find their students through agencies, and the agencies simply represent the teachers they have in their database. The goal is to make sure that whichever agency you approach, they first look at what you want, what you need, and then recommend based on that. If an agency straightaway pushes you a particular teacher without figuring out your needs or wants, you can be rest assured that is an unethical agency. A good agency will take the efforts to find out your interests for the student, before providing a suitable recommendation based on location/teacher/grade requirements e.t.c.
If you truly want to engage a good teacher through Singapore’s top rated agency, then contact us here today.